Monday 5 April 2010

Roulette Nation - Carbon Diaries 2015 - Saci Lloyd - Book Review



Another book Review and I have to admit this book took me longer to read than I anticipated. I really wanted to read this book as I hear so much about our Carbon Footprint and wonder if my thoughts are the same as others.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise that this book is set in 2015 when Climate Change is so dramatic that Carbon Rationing has been introduced in the UK. The book folows the story of teenage Laura as she and her family struggle to deal with the effects that Carbon Rationing have on their lives.

This book is billed as a Young Adult category but sadly I didn't enjoy it quite as much as some other YA books I have read. I felt sometimes the story was a little slapstick and far-fetched but loved other parts.

There were moments that really made me stop and think about the effect on daily life of carbon Rationing such as the impact on Travel & Tourism and consequently people's livelihoods - I thought it was clever that Laura's Dad was a travel & Tourism lecturer rather than something more obvious like a pilot.

All in all, I found the book mainly enjoyable but was glad when I finished as there are others I am desperate to read!

I would give this book a 3 out of 5 star rating.

Would it be made into a film/tv programme - Perhaps it needs to be to make us think about the consequences our actions are having on the planet!

Coming up soon ... Zoe Heller - The Believers

No comments:

Post a Comment